Need a quick and easy last minute dessert for Christmas? This peppermint mug cake is the perfect treat!
After my microwave broke a couple of months ago, I was going in a mug cake withdrawal! How can I make delicious desserts in under 5 minutes? If I wanted to have something sweet after dinner, I would have had to actually needed to commit and spend at least 30 minutes making a cake, or cookies.
But now that my microwave is fixed... well. All I can say is mug cakes are back!!
And with Christmas basically just around the corner, I decided to make some really quick and super easy holiday treats that are ready in less than 5 minutes. And peppermint! I can't get enough of peppermint at this time of year!
(I am not held responsible for the amount of crushed candy canes I buy this winter)
This mug cake, along with these rice krispie treats for one are going to be my go-to 5 minute dessert recipes for when I have unexpected guests over for the holidays. Basically because I don't have the foresight to freeze cookie dough over the holidays.
If you haven't already, be sure to enter my giveaway for a chance to win a $25 gift card for Amazon!
Peppermint Mug Cake
What you'll need:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- green icing (I used the icing recipe from this post)
- 1 Tablespoon crushed candy cane
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe mug for around 10-20 seconds.
- Mix in the sugars, vanilla and peppermint extract with the melted butter. Stir in the egg yolk until fully combined.
- Add in the flour and cocoa powder, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Place in the microwave, and microwave for around 45 seconds. Allow to cool.
- Frost with icing, and top with the crushed candy cane.