This past few weeks, I have been trying to make everything from scratch. No more microwave popcorn when I can make my own. No more canned soup, instant oatmeal and granola. I have got that covered.
But I have never made my own granola bars. I have made protein bars, but never granola bars.
There is always a first for everything, and I can safely say that it will not be the last. These bars are so good, I have no idea why I would buy granola bars in the store.
Also, any excuse to use my new candy thermometer is a good one, I think.
Coconut Almond Granola Bars
What you`ll need:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups roasted, salted almonds
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup rolled oats
- candy thermometer
- In a medium saucepan, heat the honey, water and vanilla, stirring constantly. Place the candy thermometer into the saucepan. Continue until the honey starts bubbling. Reduce the heat, and let the honey simmer until the mixture reaches a temperature of 270˚F.
- Remove from heat and fold in the almonds, coconut and oats until they are completely coated.
- Grease a square baking pan, and pour the oat mixture into the baking pan. Press the mixture down in the pan as much as you can and set aside to cool.
- When the granola is cool, turn the pan onto a cutting board, and cut into your desired sizes.