Moist strawberry bread that is so easy to make. Perfect spring recipe.
Will you judge me if I told you that I made this strawberry bread twice in the past week?
And I am only calling it strawberry "bread", because the fact that this is basically strawberry pound cake and should only be consumed as a dessert will send me spiralling in shame.
I will admit it now: this was my breakfast, snack and dessert for the past 7 days. Sprinkling in the strawberries was the only thing that made me feel good about calling it a breakfast food.
Have you ever tried strawberry bread? I have been shoving all sorts of things inside all of my breads (pumpkin, banana. raisins and coconut..) but for some strange reason, I have never thought of putting in strawberries.
And then, my life changed last week.
Then again later that week because I made it again, but with chocolate chips.
(That one disappeared too quickly that I didn't have time to photograph it.)
This bread is so incredibly moist, and not at all dry like the breads I keep buying from my local coffee shop. I have actually made a habit of taking some of this bread along with me when I sit down at a coffee shop now to get some work done. Saves me lots of money, plus.. I'm sorry. It just tastes better than what you buy there.
I have even made french toast out of this bread, and it has turned out amazing. So good in fact that I didn't photograph THAT either.
I know. Worst food blogger ever.
But with strawberry prices going down, I can afford to make loaf after loaf. I am even thinking of freezing some so that I can enjoy it later when I am too busy to bake.
But then again, if my current trend continues, I don't think I will have enough time to wrap it up and get the loaf ready for the freezer before someone devours it. And trust me. This is one of the best problems to have.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the strawberries and 2 Tablespoons of flour until the strawberries are coated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla, and mix until fully combined. Add in the baking powder and salt.
- Slowly mix in the yogurt, water and flour until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared loaf pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for around 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.