Super easy banana bread recipe made with hemp hearts. Butterless and healthy so you can feel good about taking another slice.
Happy first day of Spring!
How is it looking on your end of the world? I am still in Vancouver at the moment, and it is looking like there may be some early April showers. Although this is Vancouver, so April showers happen all year round.
Stay in and make banana bread with me?
I don't think I will get into Spring baking until when I return to Toronto. Too much going on here to bake AND take nice photos. I am still putting off marking and going on full time relaxing mode.
But given the fact that I have been eating out basically every day, I fell like I need to post something healthy. You know, as inspiration for my next restaurant outing. In which I will inevitably order the butter chicken... but that is neither here nor there.
At least I have this banana bread waiting in the freezer for some post-march break healthy breakfasts.
One of the reasons I love this banana bread recipe is because it cuts so nicely. I mean, look at the picture below!! I have made so many banana breads that crumble as soon as you get a knife within a foot of the bread.
Maybe an exaggeration, but you get the picture.
This banana bread would actually be perfect to cut up and make into French toast. Which defeats the purpose of it being a healthier version, but I am on vacation mode here! Trashing up everyday food and eating junk is my mission for the next week.
I'll be back at the gym next week. I promise.
Healthy Hemp Heart Banana Bread
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, bananas, yogurt, maple syrup and brown sugar until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently. Do not overmix. Fold in the hemp hearts.
- Pour the batter into the the prepared loaf pan and place in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.