This strawberry cake recipe is perfect to use up any strawberries you have in your fridge. A great breakfast or dessert idea.
I have finally caved. I have finally bought some strawberries.
Usually I let berry season pass me by because I have been burned so many times by buying very tasteless berries, that it just puts me off buying them for a long time. And this is especially true with strawberries. All I need to do is think back to the strawberries that I ate years ago in my grandmother's garden to realise that I can never buy strawberries as good as those. So why bother trying?
Until I realised that strawberry cake is the perfect reason to buy strawberries.
Usually I only bake with a batch of berries if the batch I bought tastes flavorless and boring. So it is both a good and bad thing when I am in the kitchen baking with strawberries. Without bad batches of strawberries, I wouldn't have made my Strawberry Hand Pies or my favourite Strawberry Sour Cream Pie.
But today, I wanted to bake something easy. Something that doesn't require me to make my own dough. Something that I could just mix up in one bowl, put in the oven and be done with. Chalk this up to wanting to make the most of my relaxing summer as possible.
If you are also looking for a one bowl, super easy strawberry cake, this one is for you!
The hardest part is washing the dishes at the end. Which, if you have a dishwasher (which I, sadly, don't), should be a snap.
Also, this cake has fruit in the form of baked strawberries, which totally makes it breakfast food! Cake for breakfast is my new favourite thing. And cake for dessert. And for sneaking into my mouth between meals..
Easy Strawberry Cake
What you'll need:
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8 inch cake round cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup of white sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, milk and vanilla, and mix until fully combined.
- Add in the flour and baking powder, and mix in until just combined.
- Pour in the batter into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the strawberries on top of the batter cut side down as close to possible. Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tablespoon sugar over the berries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325°F, and bake for an additional 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from Laughing Spatula