Super simple Rice Krispies Hearts make the perfect last minute Valentine's Day treat!
Raise your hand if you are a last minute planner!
Having a super busy job and no time to even plan my dinners, my hands are both raised all the way up. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have kids. Right now I am quite content with a two person household and a job that hardly gives me time to breathe.
So for the last minute planner (like me), I present to you these Rice Krispie Hearts.
These Rice Krispie treats are so simple, you'll be making them all year round. All you need is 6 ingredients plus a heart cookie cutter (I am using Wilton Nesting Heart Cutter Set).
Plus, cutting shapes out of rice krispies has an additional bonus for you: you can snack on all of the scrap outside pieces while you work. Snacks + cute dessert at the end? Sounds like a win-win if you ask me!
This recipe is basically the same as the recipe I made for Canada Day, but it was so good not to remake again.
As it turns out, my fiancé hates having frosting on his Rice Krispie Treats. Which I did know after making them on Canada Day last year, but decided to give it another go anyways. Since he is still not into it.. that doesn't bother me in the least! Valentine's Day dessert for myself. I'll take it!
Rice Krispie Hearts with Buttercream Frosting
What you'll need:
Rice Krispie Layer:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 5 1/2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan and set aside.
- Rice Krispie Layer: In a large saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows mixing constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat and add the red food coloring to your desired color. Fold in the Rice Krispie cereal until full combined.
- Drop the mixture into the prepared pan, and press down evenly. Allow to cool.
- Buttercream Filling: In a medium bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar, and beat until smooth.
- When the Rice Krispie layer is cool, cut in half. Spread the frosting on one side, and place the other side on top.
- Cut into squares, and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.