Your favourite chocolate chip cookie in bar form! Soft and chewy and packed with chocolate chips.
Craving chocolate chip cookies is just a constant in my life. Most of the time you can find me in the kitchen baking my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies or, my favourite cookie of all time, my oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
Obviously, making these chocolate chip cookie bars was inevitable.
This problem isn't so bad when I give the majority of the cookies away. Then I can fit them all my share (I always keep at least some) in a nice airtight container. But when I make a batch for myself? I am practically using every container I own to store the cookies!
Now that I have tried square cookie bars, I don't think I am ever going to go back to those space hogging round cookies.
(Most likely a lie, but we will see)
The reason it took me so long to expand my horizons and try square cookies is how particular I am about my cookie. If there was a dating site for chocolate chip cookies, this is what I would say that I am looking for in a cookie:
- It must be soft. If it crumbles when I take a bite, it better be a shortbread cookie.
- There needs to be sufficient chocolate in every bite. I hate those cookies disguised as chocolate chip cookies only to have around 2 chocolate chips per cookie. What's up with that??
- It needs to be thick! I don't want to skinny cookies hanging around my house!
These cookies tick off all of those criteria and then some! They might even be easier to make then their round counterparts because you don't need to scoop individual cookies. Just dump the mixture into a pan, pop it in the oven and boom! You're done.
As an added bonus, you leave these in the oven longer. And in the snowy winter months in Toronto, having an oven on makes you feel so cozy and warm. Plus, who can resist the smell of freshly baked cookies? I certainly can't!
The hardest part about making these cookies is letting them cool enough to cut into squares. Pure torture!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
What you'll need:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fully combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the flour and salt until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool completely.
Adapted from Just a Taste