This apple coffee cake makes for a perfect breakfast or afternoon snack. Soft cake filled with apples, topped with crunchy cinnamon streusel.
Today was my first snow day ever!
And by snow day, I don't mean the first time I have seen snow on the ground. I live in Canada after all. I mean that school was cancelled because of all the snow on the ground. This might have been the only day that I didn't want to have a snow day at all. It is final exam week at my school, and I had a couple of exams and presentations prepared for my students today. I bet they were really excited about this snow day.
The good thing about a snow day is that it gives me an excuse have a baking day! Not that I really need an excuse, but it is always nice to have the whole day to yourself - warming yourself up with an oven that is always on and a nice cup of tea in front of you.
I started the day with baking some of my favorite ginger nectarine baked oatmeal. I can honestly say that I could eat that oatmeal all day and all night. I may never get bored of it. For lunch, I made some homemade bagel bites (which I may post on the blog later, but it is so easy to make, I might not bother). Then I made this cake so that I can have an afternoon snack.
The only downside to this day is that I have done so many dishes, my hands are cracking they are so dry. I should probably wear gloves so that my already dry hands don't get even more dry by all the dishes I need to wash by hand (no, we don't have a dishwasher), but...YOLO.
(Totally inappropriate use of YOLO, but whatevs)
This cake was everything my day off needed... and more! Soft cake with bursts of apple chunks in the centre, and a hard, cinnamon streusel topping for that extra crunch. I will keep this recipe close at hand for all of those days that I buy wayyy too many apples, and eventually have a lot that need using.
Which, let's be real here, happens at least once a month.
Apple Coffee Cake
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar. Set aside to "sour".
- In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar and vegetable oil. Add in the egg until fully incorporated. Mix in the "soured" milk. Add in the baking soda, vanilla and flour, and mix in until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the apple. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the white sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum