These red velvet cupcakes are some of the best red velvet cupcakes I have ever tried! Topped with rich cream cheese frosting, you really can't go wrong.
So Valentine's day is right around the corner, and my boyfriend is nowhere to be seen.
To be fair, he has his reading week for school, and I encouraged him to see his family. Maybe I am just used to being apart from him on Valentine's day, I made sure this year was the same. I mean, in the 7 years we have been dating, I have spent Valentine's day with him maybe twice. And we basically just sit around eating chocolate and watching horror movies. (What, that's not what you do?)
To be honest with you, I prefer the day after Valentine's day to the big day itself. Half priced chocolate is more my style.
And even though I won't be spending the day with my boyfriend, I will make sure that I'll spend the day with something equally as sweet. Namely: these cupcakes.
I have made a red velvet mug cake last year for Valentine's day, but never an entire batch of cupcakes.
I have got to say these cupcakes are something special. The cream cheese frosting just sends them over the edge. They are perfect for Valentine's day, or any time of the year really. My old boss actually gave me the recipe for these cupcakes when he made them for me for my birthday. Except for the ones he made me are very pretty, while mine looks like a Valentine's day party exploded on it. Which, I suppose, was what I was going for.
Oh! Also, I used the tips from this decorating set to decorate the cupcakes. I got this set a while ago, and haven't used it until last month, and am now hooked! I will learn how to use each and every decorating tip and report back.
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup +2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- red food coloring gel
- 4 oz butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and 1/2 Tablespoon of vinegar. Set aside to "sour".
- In a large bowl, cream together the 4 Tablespoons butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, and beat until fully combined. Mix in the cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Slowly add in half of the "soured" milk. Add in half of the flour, and mix until combined. Add in the remaining milk and flour until fully incorporated.
- Add in the baking soda and vinegar, and mix until smooth. Add in the food coloring until your desired shade.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan, and bake in the preheated oven or 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to cool on wire racks.
- To make the frosting: Cream together the butter and cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed, and add in the icing sugar and vanilla. Mix until fully incorporated. Place in a ziplock bag or a piping bag, and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle tops of cupcakes with the heart sprinkles.
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker