Do you know what the surest way to get yourself down on a Friday evening? (I know, I bet everyone is on the edge of their seat to hear the answer to this). Reading articles about how Google is making you stupid. Then asking people around you their opinion, and them telling you how oh so very true this is.
Then you start skimming more articles on the internet like the internet ADD humans we are of our time.
But then, as I am prone to do when I am sad...or happy or just a regular day, I surfed Google for some cake recipes. Because that is not something a person who's mind has been softened by Google does.
And as it turns out, for every dark doomsday message, there is a light happy side! A light, fluffy, chocolate infused dessert happy side to be more precise. With a combination of two recipes that I found thanks to this supposed intelligence destroying search engine, I have created the ultimate chocolate cake.
So dig in before you don't remember how to pick up that fork!
Chocolate Cake with Thick Chocolate Icing
What you'll need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven 350˚F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Cake: In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat in the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla until fully combined. Stir in the water. The batter will be thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside and let cool.
- Frosting: In a small saucepan, bring the milk, butter and sugar to a boil. Mix for 30 seconds, then remove from heat and immediately add in the chocolate chips. Mix in until melted and fully incorporated. stir in the vanilla. Pour immediately on the cooled cake.
Cake adapted from Hershey`s