I have a thing for lemons.
So whenever you ask me what my secret ingredient is, it’s a touch of love, and a whole lot of lemon.
So when I set out to bake something this morning, (yes it’s true..my prime baking time is the morning) I was trying to think of all the baked goods that I have ever made and which ones really stood out above the rest. The thing that really comes to mind is the Cream Cheese Banana Pecan Bread. It was by far my favorite loaf I have ever made.
And since I will put lemon into anything, I have added it in a pecan loaf. Even though this version doesn’t have cream cheese in it (I didn’t have any at the time, and I wanted to work with what I had) it tasted amazing!
So if you’ve got some pecans and lemons hanging around your house, waiting be used, I would suggest making this. A perfect breakfast or tea time treat.
Pecan Lemon Loaf
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray loaf pan.
- For the bread: In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Alternate between mixing in the flour mixture and the yogurt into the wet ingredients until fully combined. Fold in the pecans and the lemon peel.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the glaze: In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar on medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Pour over the warm bread. Let the bread cool completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.