Hearty potato soup that is very easy to make. Made without butter or cream to make it healthier than your regular potato soup recipe.
Does it feel like September yet? With the increased humidity and the grey, rainy days, I am craving more soup than I have in a looooong time.
And by taking a look into my pantry, I knew right away that the first soup of the pre-fall season will be potato soup!
Okay, so I know what you're thinking. Potato soup is usually heavy and fattening. Filled with butter and cream to make more comfort food than every day dinner.
But it doesn't need to be!
I'm talking about a potato soup that can be both comfort food and every day dinner. Sounds crazy, right? But that is exactly what this soup is!
I made this with chicken broth, but feel free to change that to vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian version. And make sure that it is the reduced sodium kind. You are using a lot of broth for this soup, and I want to make sure that you are able to customise this soup to your liking.
Also, if you don't have a potato masher... no biggie! Either mix the potatoes with a hand (or stand) mixer - or even a fork - and you are good to go!
I'm going to be making this potato soup over and over again for those weeks where leftovers are very welcome. Because this potato soup recipe makes a lot.
Healthy Potato Soup
What you'll need:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 lbs red potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- paprika and dill to sprinkle on top
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium heat. Cook the onions until fragrant and transparent. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the potatoes and the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer until the potatoes are soft, around 15-20 minutes.
- Using a potato masher or a hand mixer, mash (or mix) the potatoes until they reach your desired texture. Add in the onions, salt, paprika and nutmeg and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter until browned and fragrant. Add in the vegetable broth and flour, and mix until thickened. Once the mixture is thickened, add into the soup and mix well.
- Bring the soup to a low simmer, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve into bowls, sprinkling extra paprika and dill on top.
Adapted from She Wears Many Hats