Cheesy hashbrown casserole that is so easy to make! The crunchy cornflake topping is one of the best things to happen on this casserole.
I know I have been quite on here for the past week, but I have a good reason. Not a particularly fun reason, but one that involves piles and piles of work.
Our school had an inspection yesterday, and all of us teachers were clamoring to refine (and type out) our lesson plans for this year and last year, with all of the curriculum expectations included. And though this might not sound like a lot of work, believe me. It is. I was staying up until 1AM every day and waking up at 6AM. When people tell me teachers get paid too much, they should really take into account all of the unpaid work we do. Which is about 50% of our work.
So I was freaking out yesterday, wondering whether or not the inspector would come to my class, and preparing super detailed and amazing lesson plans for all my classes, secretly hoping she wouldn't come to my class.
But all my efforts were for naught, because the inspector didn't even come to my class. After the fact, I kind of wish she did, because I spent all this effort creating these amazing lesson plans with assessment for/of/and learning, and detailed notes, when I could have spent all that time to catch up on marking.
Oh well. What can you do?
Well, I am going to celebrate a job well done with a hashbrown casserole.
I love this casserole for breakfast, but you can easily have it for lunch or dinner. It is so cheesy and filling, that I have been eating it for breakfast every day this week, getting me ready for my busy days.
The best part about this casserole is how easy it is to make. Just pour all of your ingredients (except some butter and the cornflakes) into a bowl, mix, pour into a baking dish, top it with the butter and cornflakes, put it in the oven and BAM! Super easy and super satisfying casserole at your fingertips.
I think I'm going to make it again this weekend. I am sure to have a lot of busy marking days ahead.
What you'll need:
- 2.2 lbs frozen hashbrowns, thawed
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the hashbrowns and 1/2 cup butter. Add in the pepper, salt, onion, soup, sour cream and cheese, and mix until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/4 cup butter with the cornflakes. Sprinkle on top of the hashbrown mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55-60 minutes.
Adapted from Nancy Creative