Last time I went to the grocery store, I bought 3 HUGE bags of apples.
Yes, I am the girl who buys all of her fruit out of season. Everyone was lining up around the cherries and peaches, and here I was with my cart full of apples.
I mean, that was soo 10 months ago, am I right?
But for one reason or another, I was craving all of the apples and wouldn't leave the grocery store until I had enough for a month.
But with all of these apples, there is always the problem of: what can a house of 2 people do with all of these apples?
Well my friends, prepare for an onslaught of apple recipes. In the summer. Because that is what I do.
I love breakfasts that come together really quickly, and use simple ingredients that you probably have on hand. I am not one to go shopping specifically for an ingredient. It's either in my house, or I am making something else.
The maple yogurt cream made these extra special. I think next time I make this (and yes, food bloggers do make things more than once if they are good enough) I will make the maple yogurt cream with Greek Yogurt to make it creamier.
And since this recipe uses only 1 apple, I can make this at least 30 more times with all of the apples I just bought!
Apple Skillet Popover with Maple Yogurt Cream
What you'll need:
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 apple (I used a Granny Smith), thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
Maple Yogurt Cream:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Allow the eggs and milk to stand at room temperature for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the apples, 2 Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until fully combined.
- Place the butter on a cast iron skillet, and heat for 2 minutes. Swirl the butter around the pan, then add the apple mixture. Bake for 10 minutes or until the apples begin to soften and the butter is bubbly.
- Meanwhile, add the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt, and remaining sugar and cinnamon to a blender, and blend until mixture is frothy.
- Pour the batter over the hot apples. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
- Make the yogurt cream by mixing together yogurt, mix together the "Maple Yogurt Cream" ingredients together until combined.
- Dust popover with powdered sugar and cut into wedges. Serve with yogurt cream.