Is there anything harder than taking a picture of a grilled cheese sandwich?
Main reason for this? Because it smells so freaking good! I barely had patience to take these photos, I just wanted to eat this right away.
The thing with this recipe is that it takes a long time. Why? Because of the roasted zucchini. But I promise you, it is soo worth it. PLUS, you get extra roasted zucchini to eat alongside your sandwich. Which just sounds like a win win if you ask me.
Even though my cheese obsession right now is Jalapeno cheese (because...yum!) you can use any kind of cheese you want. Cheddar, Havarti, you name it. That's what I love about grilled cheese sandwiches. You basically can never go wrong!
That is, unless you are my boyfriend and burn 99% of the grilled cheese sandwiches you make. Or, as my mom would put it, you caramelize the bread. But even if this is you, please, please practice your grilled cheese making skills. They are too good to burn. Especially this one.
Roasted Zucchini Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What you'll need:
- 1 zucchini, cut into coins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 oz Jalapeno cheese
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the zucchini coins and the oil in a large ziplock bag. Shake it up until the zucchini coins are coated in oil. Place the the coins on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven for around 1 hour, flipping halfway through.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Butter the outside of the bread. Arrange the cheese and the zucchini on the buttered bread.
- Place the sandwich butter side down on the skillet. Grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip, and grill on the other side until golden brown and the cheese is melted. (I like to put a large saucepan lid on the sandwich to help the process.) Serve immediately.