Let me first start by admitting that this is not a completely new recipe on my blog. Yeah, I know. Remember my last blog post when I lamented that I was getting more and more unoriginal? Well this one takes the cake. (Or the muffin. Ba dum tss)
If this recipe seems eerily similar to the one I made back in 2012...well you've got me. It is pretty much the same.
But you GUYS! It is so good that I NEEDED to remind you about it! So that you can store it in your shelf until apple season, or go out and make it now! Because who doesn't want to bake with apples all year round?
These muffins have actually been made (by me) so many times since the first time I posted them two years ago (can you believe I have been blogging for that long?). And now I want to give my new readers a chance to make them. You can be sure I'll make them again.
PART of the reason I am making these muffins is because my boyfriend is forcing me to eat healthy. Not forcing me like tying me to a chair and force feeding me kale and quinoa (which I wouldn't mind too much), but saying "we will not buy chocolate, candy, potato chips..." I kind of stopped listening after that, but I got his point.
I convinced him that I will bake one healthy thing, then one unhealthy thing. You know...to balance things out. And since these muffins have apples in them.. Well they must be healthy. Or that's what I convinced him.
So my friends, you can be expecting my next baked good to be unhealthy. Or hey, maybe I will jump on the healthy bandwagon and only bake healthy.
Alternately, maybe I can convince him that anything I bake would be healthier than the junk you buy prepacked in the stores. I will keep you updated. In the meantime, enjoy these muffins!
Apple Streusel Muffins
What you'll need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled and cored, 3/4 shredded, 1/4 cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly spray a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until fully incorporated. Fold in the apples.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel topping ingredients together. Sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place on wire racks to cool completely.
Slightly adapted from All Recipes
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: