I can't believe summer is almost over. It seems like it just started. Well, it pretty much just started here in Vancouver, since it rains about 300 days of the year.. I kid you not.
But now I'll have to start waking up early, going to school, and basically be glued to my books until Christmas. Fun times are coming soon.
Speaking of books, I only payed $115 for my books this year. Actually, book. Singular. The others I had already. You see, my brother is also a huge nerd (loving sibling shout out <3) and took most of the courses I am taking when he was at university.
So this is what my load is going to look like: I will be taking 6 courses, 1 of which is a graduate class, I will be running 3(!) workshops for a class of around 25 first year calculus students, and be marking their quizzes, I will be tutoring some students because I have been for so long, and I don't want to give up on them, AND I will be working at my current job (even though it IS just at a grocery store.)
So, as a little disclaimer, I may not have much time to be making food. I'll have too much on my plate. Truly. No pun intended.
And so to make the most of the summer, I am going camping. Yet again. Because I need to get the most of this fleeting sunshine. It's already starting to get cold!
Now I made my boyfriend's favorite cake to de-stress him. You see, he is doing research with a professor during the summer, and he is getting really into it. He was stressing about trying to finish writing everything up before the summer is over, but now, they are going to publish it, so he can work on it during the school year. So, in conclusion, I'm anticipating not seeing him at all until this year is over.
So come on September. Bring it. I'm ready for you.
What you'll need:
For the cake:-1 cup fresh raspberries
-3 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1/3 cup white sugar
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1 pinch salt
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-2 tablespoons butter, melted
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/4 cup slivered almonds
For the glaze:
-1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
-1 teaspoon milk
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray a loaf tin.
2. In a small bowl, combine the raspberries and the brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the buttermilk, butter, vanilla and egg. Mix until fully incorporated.
4. Pour batter into loaf tin. Top with the raspberries, then sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
6. Combine the confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla extract until well mixed. Drizzle over cake.
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: