These pear streusel muffins taste like a bite of fall. Made heartier with whole wheat flour.
I know this is not a summer recipe, but I just can't help myself!
Please give me all of the streusel!!! I am longing for fall flavors, but still want to keep the summer weather. I can't help that I am so picky when it comes to my food moods. This is why it is a good thing I can bake with fall flavors all year long.
And while I have yet to buy all of the watermelon, strawberries and peaches that are constantly on sale because they are in season, I go for the overpriced pears and the apples, which don't go in season for at least 2 months.
Sometimes I wonder what my cravings will be like when I'm pregnant. Maybe I will actually stick with the seasons and save a bit of money. But most likely I will want cheesecake for breakfast.
Heck, I want cheesecake for breakfast now.
So you guys don't need to be weirdos and make this now. I don't expect anyone really wants to spend half a fortune on produce that is not in season. Although, I would love to hear if you would. Just so that I know that I'm not alone.
But I would bookmark this one if I were you, just for those times you have one pear in your fridge that really needs using but you don't really feel like eating. Because these muffins are just like taking a bite into happiness. Or they were to me because I have been missing my fall flavors SO MUCH!
These can be made with only all-purpose flour, but I decided to add in half whole wheat just so that I make some effort to make my baking healthier. And more filling.
I am hoping these muffins will last me through the week, but I'm not counting on it.
Pear Streusel Muffins
What you'll need:
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pear, cored and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Line muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly spray a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Slowly add the flour mixture, mixing until fully incorporated. Fold in the pears.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel topping ingredients together. Sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place on wire racks to cool completely.