A delicious and easy recipe for scones bursting with fresh cherries and with a hint of lemon. They also contain no butter or eggs!
There aren't enough recipes involving fresh cherries on my blog.
Maybe one of the reasons for this is because I am not usually really excited about standing over the counter for up to 30 minutes trying to pit all of these cherries! But whenever I see cherries for sale, I am a sucker and buy a huge bag. Every time.
And there is only so many cherries I can eat at one time! What am I supposed to do if not bake with them?
And since I haven't made scones in FOREVER (the last time I made scones was over 1 year ago), I decided that this would truly be the best use of my cherries.
And because I was not in the mood for something too complicated. I mean, Wednesdays. Am I right?
I actually made these scones last week, but never got around to posting them. Probably because I was too busy eating them for breakfast, lunch and as a nice snack.
And since I made this in the last week before I left for holiday, I was out of eggs, butter and milk. I can't believe I found a recipe to use up pretty much everything in my fridge without compromising the taste.
I think I am winning at my no-waste promise I made to myself earlier this year.
Fresh Cherry and Lemon Scones
What you'll need:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half
- Coarse sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with a silcone mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the lemon zest.
- Create a well in the centre, and pour the whipping cream and vanilla into it. Slowly mix it into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Place the dough on a well floured surface. Cut the dough in two. Press each section of dough down to create circles. Cut these circles into 4. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top of the scones. Bake in the preheated oven for 13 minutes, or until golden brown.