Super moist cupcakes made with coffee to give you a nice pick me up.
We made it to the weekend!! And a long weekend at that!
I'm not the only one celebrating. The sun is shining so bright, I can hardly believe it is February in Toronto. I actually had to take my jacket off when going for a walk this morning, it was so warm.
And to celebrate this long weekend and warm weather: cupcakes!
Okay, to be fair, turning on the oven on a very hot day is probably not the best thing in the world to do, but I felt like I needed something sweet to get me through all of the marking, test making and other various teacher activities that will take up all of my time this long weekend.
So instead of walking down to my nearest Starbucks and ordering mocha after mocha, I decided to make them in cupcake forms. Way more fun, and far less expensive.
So this past few months I have become obsessed with chocolate cupcakes. I have already made these chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting three times since January. Three!! I am obsessed! Who knew that plain old chocolate cupcakes were so good?
I guess a lot of people did.. but for some reason it just sounded too blah for me. I mean, you can buy them in about any grocery store or bakery you walk into, so why make them at home?
I am telling you: learn from my mistakes. Always make them at home!
Anyways, I am gushing. I am supposed to be talking about these mocha cupcakes. So here is my rule of thumb: when you want moist cakes/cupcakes, always add coffee! It might freak you out at first because the batter seems too thin, but it always tuns out perfect and tastes amazing.
You will also need a piping tip to pipe the icing. I am currently experimenting with piping tips from this piping kit and having so much fun with it! If you don't know where to start and which tips to use, I highly recommend getting this kit. I used tip #32 from this kit.
Well, off to mark more tests. And eat 2 more of these cupcakes.
Mocha Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 5 Tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat together until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coffee and the milk.
- Alternate between mixing in the dry ingredients and the milk mixture into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans so that each cup is 3/4 full. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, mix together the frosting ingredients until smooth. Pipe the frosting on top of cooled cupcakes.