Not so sweet muffins with a delicious chocolatey filling. Super easy to make as a back to school snack.
School is next week!! Is everyone excited??
I just started my new job at my new school today and I couldn't be more excited. But with the days getting busier, and my to-do list getting longer and longer by the hour, it is hard to find time to make healthy snacks for the school year. My hand will start to wander towards the salt and vinegar chips.
Good thing Secret Recipe Club is having an extra reveal day completely dedicated to back to school dinners and snacks. If you want some truly amazing suggestions on what you should try for back to school, just scroll down past the recipe to see what all the other members of Secret Recipe Club are cooking up.
For this reveal day, I was assigned the blog Dancing Veggies by the lovely and engaging Amanda. There are so many recipes on her blog that I wanted to try (such as the peach upside down cake), but I decided to go for a muffin recipe instead. Because muffins are my go-to after school snack. Something easy, that you can grab and munch on while you work (or, in my case, correct homework and tests).
And what better muffin to choose than one with a chocolatey centre?
These muffins aren't sweet at all, which means you can enjoy them warmed up with melted butter without feeling too guilty. They are also super easy to make, which is always the top thing that I am looking for in a weekday treat.
I think I should have taken Amanda's advice and used Nutella instead of chocolate chips if you wanted a centre with more chocolate and more sweetness. But that only gives me another reason to make these muffins again. And again. And again.
This school year is going to be the year of the muffin. Won't you join me?
Chocolate Stuffed Muffins
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and the vinegar. Set aside to "sour".
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add in the egg, butter and "soured" milk, and mix until just combined.
- Scoop half the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of each (I used around 11-15 individual chocolate chips), then divide the remaining mixture over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until muffins are browned. Allow to cool in the pan for around 5 minutes before placing them on wire racks to cool completely.
Adapted from Dancing Veggies