Ready for an appetizer that looks extremely impressive and are easy to make? These cheddar cheese twists are what you are looking for!
Every since I started participating in writing posts for the Secret Recipe Club, I have been looking forward to the first Monday of every month. Exploring recipes from new blogs is so much fun, and seeing someone else enjoy a recipe that you made is so much fun!
This month, I was assigned to make a recipe from the wonderful blog: The Wimpy Vegetarian. It was very difficult to choose one to make! I really wanted to make this hot buttered rum apple pie, or these strawberry oat crumble bars, but I decided it is time to try something savory for a change.
And I am so glad I did!! These will be making an appearance this year for easy appetizer ideas over the holidays. This was actually the first time I have ever bought puff pastry, but I think this won't be the last!
When my boyfriend came home to all of these delicious little appetizers, he said that they look and taste like something you would get at your local bakery. And I don't disagree. They were gone within a day!
The next time I make these, I think I will add more chili powder to give it more of a spicy flavor. I for one love cheese and spice, but they are perfectly delicious just the way they are. As I know many people who either hate or can't eat very spicy foods, I would leave it with just the 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder when making it over the holidays.
These would even make great gifts for your friends or neighbors, and they would be perfect to bring to a Christmas party or event! Impress your friends without putting much effort into it. I am totally down for that!
Cheddar Cheese Twists
What you'll need:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured table, roll out the puff pastry. Cut the puff pastry in half. Using a pastry brush, brush half of the oil over one half of the puff pastry.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheddar, Parmesan and chili powder. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture on top of the half of the puff pastry with the oil. Place the other half of the puff pastry on top, and roll the sheets together with the rolling pin.
- Brush the remaining oil on the puff pastry. Sprinkle the remaining cheese mixture over top, and press the cheese in with your fingers.
- Using a large knife or a pizza cutter, cut the puff pastry into 1/2 inch strips.
- One at a time, take the ends of the each strip and twist in opposite directions to form a spiral. Place on the prepared baking sheet, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Bake the cheese twists for 15 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Remove from oven, and allow to cool.
Adapted from The Wimpy Vegetarian