Brownies that are gluten free, butterless, and ready in under 30 minutes.
I have a surprisingly easy brownie recipe for you.
Now I know what you are thinking: a brownie recipe? The internet has enough of those. What is so special about that?
Will the fact that they are gluten free, butterless and and ready in under 30 minutes pique your interest? Or the fact that they are made with 50% less sugar than most of the other brownies on my site? Not to mention the secret ingredient...
Okay, well "secret" ingredient is not so secret as it is in the title of this post: dates. Love them or hate them, they are such a great way to naturally sweeten your favourite recipe, be it a smoothie, biscotti, or in this case, brownies!
While this recipe isn't really all that much healthier than your average brownie recipe, this is one that you can share with everyone: your gluten free friends, your nut free friends...and with a couple of adjustments to the recipe you can even share it with your vegan friends too.
And did I mention how fudgy these brownies are?? Even the edges are deliciously chewy.. and I'm not even an edge kind of person when it comes to brownies. (Good thing my fiance is!)
This is a recipe that I would recommend and bookmark for later. There is never going to be leftover dates in my house again!
What you'll need:
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon water (reserved from the soaking water)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Place the dates in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes while you do the next few steps.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the dates, 1 teaspoon reserved water and the coconut oil until smooth.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate in 30 second intervals, mixing after each interval. Mix in the vanilla and eggs.
- Add the date mixture and the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and place in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool, then cut into squares.