So I might just be making this recipe to prove to my readers that I am not solely subsisting off of desserts.
Or desserts disguised as breakfast. Which are really the best kind.
But so that we can both ease into this savory transition (I doubt this will last though..) I have included a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
Don't get me wrong. The cocoa powder doesn't make this sweet. Just ask anyone who has been tricked into eating a teaspoon of the stuff alone and expecting it to taste like hot chocolate mix. Full disclosure: it does not.
But what it does do is so much better! This created a flavor explosion which made my taste buds sing!
But the jalapeno in this recipe made my boyfriend's nose run. Because why buy jalapeno peppers when you just take out the seeds? It takes the fun out of it!
This is the perfect way to heat up your summer, in case the sun just isn't doing it for you.
I am looking at you rain. Get out of here.
Jalapeno and Corn Quinoa
What you'll need:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make it vegetarian)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the quinoa, chicken broth, cumin, salt, cocoa powder and frozen corn.
- Bring the quinoa to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and mix in the jalapeno peppers.
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: