You guys!! I think I have found my favorite grilled cheese. This might be the one!
But in the process, I am trashing up a traditional Korean side dish. Is this wrong? Or oh so right?
My wonderful landlord is Korean, and she made me and my boyfriend not one, but TWO jars of kimchi. I know, right? I am the luckiest person ever!
The only problem is, my boyfriend does not like kimchi. Not only does he not like kimchi, he can't stand the smell of it. In all the 5 years that we have been dating, I only learn this now? I guess my dad's plans for us to visit this really cool kimchi place by his place will need to be reconsidered.
Or maybe we won't even need to reconsider the plans if I can make a smooth transition into him adoring kimchi like I do.
Okay, maybe that's going too far. But getting to the "liking" stage may take some persuasion.
And some grilled cheese.
I needed to make this when he was at the university because he still hates the smell, but this was my little test run to see whether or not making a kimchi grilled cheese sandwich will likely change someone's perception of this jar of fermented goodness.
Maybe I'm just biased because I love kimchi, but this sandwich blew my mind! I mean, I have made a kimchi breakfast sandwich in the past, but having kimchi in a grilled cheese form? I may not even let my boyfriend try it. It might be too good to share.
Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
What you'll need:
- 2 slices bread
- 1.3-1.5 oz old cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup kimchi, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Heat a skillet to medium heat.
- Place the cheese and the kimchi on one slice of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on the outside of the top piece of bread, and place the sandwich mayonnaise side down on the skillet. Cover with the lid of a saucepan. Cook for around 3 minutes.
- Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on the outside of the top piece of bread, and flip. Cook until golden brown, approximately another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and enjoy!