This cake is so moist and fudgy, you will not want another chocolate cake recipe! Made amazing with the coconut cream cheese frosting!
Is it just me, or has this week been the longest week in EXISTENCE?
Maybe it's because being back at school I need to stay up super late making lesson plans/reading textbooks/doing copious amounts of homework, then wake up super early to make it to UBC on time.
Ah yes, back to school. It feels like I've never left.
Now I need to de-stress. It feels like forever since I made a cake. I mean, the last cake I made was a giant reeses peanut butter cup cake back in September, but that cake was just a novelty cake, so I'm not sure if I can count that.
A couple of days ago, I stumbled upon this confession about someone who owns a cake business, charging hundreds for wedding cakes when she makes them using $1 boxed cake mix from Walmart. This confession made me want to make both a cake using cake mix and a cake from scratch, and compare them.
But when I actually went to the supermarket, looking at the cake mix just made me sad. I was going to buy it.. I really was, but my arms just didn't want to reach out and take it. I'll try some other time. Or better yet, get someone to buy it for me. Then there's no backing out.
But I at least made a cake from scratch, and I will tell you now, it was one of the best cakes I have ever made. So moist and chocolatey, it's hard to go wrong.
And since there's some coffee in it, it's totally okay for you to have a slice for breakfast. I can attest, it's delicious at any time of the day.
Moist Chocolate Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon brandy extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and vinegar and set aside for around 5 minutes to "sour".
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray a springform pan and set aside.
- Cake: In a large bowl, combine the flours sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Add in the eggs, coffee, oil, vanilla and the milk mixture, and beat in until the mixture is fully combined. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese. Slowly add in the icing sugar until fully incorporated, then blend in the randy extract. Fold in the coconut.
- Spread the frosting over the cake .
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: