Christmas Lights Cupcakes right in time for Christmas! This recipe is the perfect holiday dessert idea.
Quick: how do you get a group of teenage students to not mentally check out after a test during the last week of school before the holiday?
And a followup question: how do I prevent myself from not to mentally check out? I have succeeded so far, but as my flight to Vancouver is coming up on the 24th (yup, Christmas eve), and I have yet to wrap presents and pack my suitcase. Trying to mark 7 different tests and still be present in the classroom is taking up the majority of my time.
My coping mechanism: sugar. And lots of it.
I haven't been so good about Christmas baking this year. Even though I adore making cakes/cupcakes/cookies... basically anything sweet, there is only so much a two person household can eat.
Luckily my students are such willing
Minus the fact that teaching leaves me with no time to bake. But that's what the early mornings and late nights are for.
These cupcakes were some of the most fun cupcakes I have ever made. Especially since I got to snack on mini m&ms throughout the decorating process. Actually mainly because I got to eat so many m&ms. Having one container to decorate and one container to just snack on sure helped.
...don't judge me. Calories don't count over the holiday months. Right???
...like I care about calories.
...but I probably should since I turned 25 this year.
Whatever, give me all the desserts. I can always join a gym in the New Year.
Christmas Lights Cupcakes
What you'll need:
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 oz butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- black icing gel
- mini m&ms
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugar and the egg. Add in the vanilla, milk and butter until fully combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- To make the frosting: Cream together the butter and cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed, and add in the icing sugar and vanilla. Mix until fully incorporated. Place in a ziplock bag or a piping bag, and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the black icing gel and m&ms to make it look like Christmas lights.