Peanut butter and bananas come together in this moist muffin recipe. Surprisingly very healthy.
Weekend already, can you believe it?
Hi! How was your week? Was it busy? Relaxing?
Mine was crazy. Test weeks sound like super relaxing times for teachers... until you realize that you have fat stacks of papers to mark. Good thing it's a long weekend for us Canadians. Forget about making a turkey. I'm going to be hanging out at the nearest coffee shop, drinking TONS of coffee and marking test after test.
Bless you Starbucks for being open on stat. holidays!
And while I will be spending all my money on copious amounts of coffee, that doesn't mean I need to spend all my money on overpriced food to go with my coffee. Enter these muffins!
I absolutely love the peanut butter and banana combo. One of my favourite snacks is to grab a banana and slather it in peanut butter. Or a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Which is all kinds of tasty.
But for some reason I have never made peanut butter and banana muffins! I have made peanut butter banana bread, peanut butter banana smoothie and peanut butter and banana ice cream but never a bite sized, portable peanut butter and banana muffin. This recipe has been a long time coming.
One of my favourite things about this recipe is that it is actually pretty healthy. Made with whole wheat flour, no butter or oil and, get this. Only 2 Tablespoons of sugar! It's incredible how you don't need much sugar in baked goods that already have ripe bananas in it.
So don't feel bad for me that I won't be getting my turkey dinner. I've got coffee and these delicious muffins. Which is at least something to be grateful for, right?
Peanut Butter and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
What you'll need:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Mix in the peanut butter, honey, vanilla and sugar. Add in the egg and mix until fully combined.
- Slowly mix in the flour and oats until fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron