Bite sized strawberry and chocolate chip muffins are a great way to use up strawberries you have lying around.
Once I start start baking with strawberries, I just can't stop!
Maybe it's because I bought more strawberries than I could possibly eat before I left for Vancouver. I needed to use it up somehow, and I have made my fair share of this smoothie bowl to last me a lifetime.
Time for something new. And bite sized!
I am a sucker for anything mini. Give me a mini cheesecake any day and it will be gone in a second.
And I know I'm not the only one who loves things in mini form. One of the most popular recipes on my blog are these mini shepherd's pies, which can be made in a muffin pan.
But I don't want regular sized muffins today. Mini muffins make me feel like I can keep eating as many as I like because they are so small.
Which means I can eat the whole pan right? ...Right?
And they are made with fruit, so obviously I just made you some health food right here. The addition of whole wheat? Healthy breakfast food. Practically bikini body food right here.
Maybe I can't trick you into thinking these muffins are the equivalent of eating a kale salad, but I might be able to
This summer, you are bound to have some strawberries lying around your house that need using. And if you have those strawberries, I can almost guarantee that you will have the remaining ingredients.
Also, modify the recipe to what you have on hand! You don't need to use half whole wheat and half all-purpose. If you like, you can use only all-purpose or only whole wheat. Then let me know how it turns out!
Mini Strawberry and Chocolate Chip Muffins
What you'll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup + tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a mini muffin pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg and sugar until fully combined. Add in the butter, milk and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix! Fold in the chocolate chips and the strawberries.
- Scoop some batter into the prepared muffin pan, around 3/4 full. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool.