This crockpot chili is a great dinner recipe on a cold day. Spicy and filled with ground beef, this dish screams comfort food.
My slow cooker saved my life.
Okay, maybe I'm being a little too dramatic here, but it definitely saved me having to eat out every night. Or having my boyfriend cook all the meals every day. Which isn't so far from the reality most weeks.
This creation was made at around 6:30 AM: the time I am usually up and getting ready for work. And since I knew that I would be home late, I was looking for a recipe to make where the cooking time will be looonng. This recipe fits the bill.
All you need to do to get this steaming bowl of chili waiting for you when you get home is wake up early, cook the meat, put all ingredients into your slow cooker, and 10 hours later, you can walk into your kitchen and enjoy a nice warm bowl of hearty chili.
And even though it has been an extremely mild winter here in Toronto, I can always appreciate a warm bowl of chili. Especially when it is waiting for me when I get home.
This chili is basically the definition of comfort food. It is packed with meat, it is warm and it is extremely hearty. You won't go hungry after eating this! And it is so easy to make, I feel like I will be making this for dinner at least once a week.
Also, this recipe makes a lot of chili. It's great in this 2 person household, because it yields at least 1 lunch and 1 dinner in leftovers for the both of you.
Maybe I will stand by what I said. My slow cooker truly is a life saver.
Spicy Slow Cooker Chili
What you'll need:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 oz) jar of pasta sauce
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium-high, cook the ground beef until, stiring until beef is crumbly and no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.
- Mix together the ground beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, sauce, onions, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 10 hours on low, or 4 hours on high.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, if desired.
Adapted from All Recipes