A quick and easy meal that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Ready in under 30 minutes for those busy weekday nights.
Staying home all day has its disadvantages. Such as having a computer with both Netflix and YouTube readily available. Is it even possible to get work done without having those websites blocked?
Then you arrive at the point where you are listening to Elvis Presley remixes (just me?). And then you realize that it is dinner time and you have made absolutely nothing. What happened with the day?
Making meals in under 30 minutes is what I strive to do every single day. Even on days that I am lazing around the house.
It is usually deciding on something to make that is the hardest. My boyfriend wants one thing. I want another. I usually screw up whatever I make by adding too much liquid in it. All kinds of very unblogworthy meals and events happen around dinner time.
Which is why I always wait until dessert time to really shine ;).
But tonight (which really means last night), my boyfriend wanted chili. I wanted mac and cheese. You know. Because it's easy. And because I still have the taste sophistication of a small child.
Since I am the master of compromise, this soup was made and we were both happy. If you would like more kick in it, I would definitely suggest that you alter the spices to your preference. I would have added more, but upon return to Toronto, I noticed that our spices were strangely lacking. Maybe being in the presence of a fully stocked kitchen for so long made ours seem lame, or maybe it's because I don't make too many dinners here. Who knows?
I will keep this recipe ready and waiting for when the colder months come down hard. This soup is pure comfort, all in a bowl.
One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Soup
What you'll need:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 9 oz extra lean ground beef
- 4 cups beef broth
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (I used a can with herbs and spices)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked (or canned) kidney beans, drained and rinced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz uncooked macaroni elbow pasta
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, onion and ground beef, and cook until the ground beef is browned, around 5-8 minutes, making sure to crumble the ground beef while cooking.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add in the beef broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer. Mix in the pasta, and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is completely cooked. Mix in the cheese.
Adapted from Damn Delicious