The bacon pairs perfectly with the kale in this salad. An extra bonus, you can use your bacon drippings for the vinaigrette!
Easing back into routine after vacation is HARD.
Especially when it comes to eating "healthier". I mean, calories don't count when you're on holiday, right? So when it comes time to switch back to having busy weeks, early wake up times, and making new exciting meals after all of that makes life difficult; especially if you want to make them resemble a healthy dish.
All this talk about trying to make healthy foods is reminding me. I think we should be given a medal for being here for over a week already and NOT ordering pizza. An accomplishment in of itself if I say so myself.
But what's more, I managed to make more meals this week than baked goods! Even though most of them were some of my standbys, I feel like I am finally making my goal of not-eating-like-a-college-student become a reality.
But anyways, let's talk about this salad! Can we call this a super food salad? I mean it has kale, apple cider vinegar... This is like the healthiest thing I have had on my plate all week!
And when you didn't think it could get any better, you add in some sizzling hot, crispy bacon to the mix. But since I hate waste (basically the reason I never wanted to work in a restaurant), the bacon drippings are reserved and mixed in with the vinaigrette. I absolutely love mixing hot ingredients into my kale salads. This makes the kale all wilty, and leaves it having a less bitter flavor than the raw stuff on its own.
Kale and Bacon Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
What you'll need:
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I use this one)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 bunch kale, washed and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- On a large skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Reserve the bacon drippings in a small bowl. Place the cooked bacon on a large plate lined with a paper towel.
- Scoop 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat back into the skillet. Mix in the apple cider vinegar, mustard and brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, toss together the kale and pumpkin seeds. Crumble the bacon on top. Pour the warm vinaigrette on top. Toss and serve immediately.