I am sure you have read all of the hype about apple cider vinegar. "Great weight loss tips!", "helps with diabetes and blood sugar", "helps digestions", etc. But can you believe everything you read?
I decided to try drinking apple cider vinegar in some warm water every day for a little over a month to test out these claims.
After reading a lot into apple cider vinegar, I found out that there was a huge population of people who claimed that the apple cider vinegar in diets was only beneficial if the apple cider vinegar was "cloudy with a blob in the bottle". where the blob is known the "mother", which is full of probiotics. So to be on the safe side, I got the apple cider vinegar that everyone was going nuts about: briggs apple cider vinegar. It is "with the mother", and is organic, raw and unfiltered, if that sort of thing matters to you.
While I didn't notice any weight loss or help with diabetes (I don't own a scale, and I am not diabetic so I am probably not the right person to ask), I definitely noticed that it improved digestion. Maybe this is just a confirmation bias, but I felt healthier drinking it.
Some tips for if you decide to try this drink out yourself:
- Drink it through a straw! Apple cider vinegar is very acidic, and it may harm tooth enamel. Drinking it through a straw helps protect your teeth!
- Don't drink it straight as a shot. Diluting it in water can help protect your esophagus. Again, remember that apple cider vinegar is acidic!
You can read more about the health benefits here, and consider if it's the right thing for you. I stopped after just over a month, but I may pick this habit up again when I feel sick or my digestion is iffy.
Apple Cider Vinegar "Tea"
What you'll need:
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey, or 1 packet of stevia
- 1.5-2.5 cups water
- Boil the water.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and the honey or stevia in a large mug.
- Pour the boiling water in the mug, and mix until honey or stevia is dissolved. Drink through a straw to protect your tooth enamel!