I think I want to sing a song about these doughnuts. I want everyone to know that, yes, I know it's not fall, and no, I will never stop making baked goods with apples in them. And oh yes, please make as much browned butter as you possibly can so that I can cook with it. And also, doughnuts are the love of my life.
Doughnuts are forever.
Doughnuts are a girl's best friend.
Probably my favorite kitchen items are my doughnut pan and my silpat baking mat. But this might change... I just ordered a spiralizer from Amazon that I am pretty excited about.
But until then, DOUGHNUTS!!
While my boyfriend doesn't appreciate browned butter, ("I don't see the difference. Just make it with normal butter") I love it. On pasta, in cookies, and now in doughnuts! And it's sweet, delicious icing..
I'm not usually a fan of putting icing on things. If you are anything like me, there will be more icing on the table and your clothes than on the thing you are actually icing. But with these doughnuts? I was licking my fingers and sticking spoons in this icing because of the delicious way the brown butter transforms it.
Gaining 5 pounds on doughnut icing? Totally worth it.
The weird thing about me and doughnuts is that I'm not really a huge fan of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Granted, I did eat 3 in one sitting once, but given a choice between homemade baked doughnuts and Krispy Kreme ones? I would choose my own baked ones every time.
And it's not because I think it's healthier or anything. It just tastes way better. The healthier aspect is just the icing on the cake. Or doughnut, in our case.
And since I'm not really sure what spring flavors even exist (are we talking strawberries or is this too soon?) I am holding on to the amazing fall flavors for as long as I can bear.
That, or I'm just using my oven for as long as I can: until it gets too hot to bake anything. Does anyone know of any no-bake doughnut recipes? Getting ready for summer involves more than just a bikini body: I want to know that I can get my doughnut fix throughout.
Brown Butter Baked Apple Doughnuts with Brown Butter Icing
What you'll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh apple
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a doughnut pan and set aside.
- Doughnuts: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt all of the butter (4 tablespoons in total). Keep watching the butter until it starts to get brown and give off a nutty smell. Remove from heat immediately.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar. Set aside to "sour".
- Beat together the "soured" milk, egg and vanilla. Measure out 2 tablespoons of brown butter and mix it into the wet ingredients.
- Slowly mix in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the grated apples. Do not overmix!
- Gently scoop in the batter to the prepared doughnut pan, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Glaze: While the doughnuts cool, mix together the powdered sugar and salt. Mix in the remaining brown butter, vanilla and milk until fully combined.
- Once the doughnuts are completely cool, spread or dip the doughnuts in the icing. Place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes for the icing to harden.
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: