Do you know anyone who hates feta?
Well you don't need to look very far. My whole family except for my dad HATED feta. We just could not get on board. I didn't like cottage cheese, and feta cheese reminded me of the traumatic experience in my school where we had to drink cottage cheese smoothies.
To this day, I shudder at that memory.
With my dad's insistence, we went to more and more Greek restaurants, and I have come to love the taste of feta cheese. Not so much cottage cheese, unless it's pureed and put in pancakes. But give me spanakopita, Greek salad and feta crepes any day, and they will be gone within seconds.
I should dub myself the feta fiend from now on.
This week I had a ridiculous craving for feta. I'm not one to have cravings, but this one came on hard and strong. So while I'm throwing tubs of feta into my shopping cart thinking about what I can make with it, I see that eggs are on sale. Eggs. On sale! When does that ever happen?
That is when I decided, there and then, that I was to make a quiche. Because quiche might be one of my favorite types of food to make. It's so easy, but it tastes so good! Especially the leftovers.
One of my favorite combination of ingredients is spinach and feta. The first time I tried these two ingredients together is when I bought a spinach and feta crepe at a restaurant in Vancouver. Ever since then, I went back to that restaurant multiple times to order the exact same thing: the spinach and feta crepe.
This quiche is the next best thing. But all this talk of spinach and feta crepes is making me want to make some...
Spinach and Feta Quiche
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, cubed
- 3 cups spinach
- 6 oz feta, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Crust: In a medium bowl, beat together the oil and water. Add in the flours and salt, and mix in until fully incorporated.
- Lightly spray a pie pan, and press the dough into the pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Filling: Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the butter on medium heat. Saute the garlic and onion until fragrant and onions are transparent. Stir in the spinach, feta and cheddar cheese, and mix until fully combined. Pour over the pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and the milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over top the spinach mixture.
- Turn the oven down to 375˚F, and bake for 35-45 minutes.
Adapted from All Recipes
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: