You don't know how much you miss something until it's gone.
The most cliche breakup song lines included some kind of variation of that sentence, but it is so true. In my case, it is not a person, but the internet.
I am going to go another two weeks without internet, and I'm not sure if I can do it! It feels like I'm missing out on all of the fantastic inspiration I could be getting from other food blogs. And I can't update my own blog unless I go to the nearest coffee shop (here I come Tim Hortons), or I use the data on my phone (here I come sore eyes and clumsy thumbs).
Also, Pinterest. I am going on a Pinterest withdrawal.
What could POSSIBLY cheer me up in this situation? Um...did anyone say cupcakes?
Actually, as with my previous post, did anyone say Nutella??
These cupcakes, like most of the cupcakes I make, did not last long. Like, at all. I am looking at these pictures right now, and am craving them all over again.
Because of my lack of internet, these cupcakes aren't the most creative thing you have ever seen in the world, but sometimes simple and ordinary is best. Or that is what I will keep telling myself. That is, until I reacquaint myself with the internet full time in two weeks..
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3/4 cup nutella
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Cupcakes: In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, and beat until fully combined. Mix in the lemon juice and vanilla bean paste.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter, around 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, remove and rotate pans, then bake an additional 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the oven, and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for around 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add the icing sugar, and beat until fully incorporated. Add in the Nutella, milk and vanilla bean paste and mix until fully combined. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin, add more icing sugar until the frosting reaches your desired consistency. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
Frosting recipe adapted from: Sally's Baking Addiction