I remember those good old days when I was a kid. When I had to make my own dinners, but was not allowed to use the oven because I was too young, and there would be no adult supervision in my house until very late.
Back in the day when every dinner I made was a baked potato in the microwave. That was all I knew, and I stuck to it.
Don’t get me wrong, baked potatoes are fabulous. The combination of my two favorite ingredients: potatoes and cheese, makes for a delicious meal. But everyday.. well it seemed to be excessive.
So for the past few years, I have not eaten a baked potato.
Well, not really. I made pizza dough the other day, but right after I made it, I got this intense craving for baked potatoes. Since I didn’t want to let this pizza dough go to waste because of my sudden cravings, I decided to fuze the two.
Enter the baked potato pizza. No one wanted to try it, I pretty much shoved a bite down their throats. And after the first bite, the pizza vanished within minutes. With bacon, potatoes and cheese, really. How can you go wrong?
What you’ll need:
-1 recipe for pizza dough
-6 slices of bacon
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2 tablespoons creamy ceasar dressing
-2 cups cheddar cheese
-1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1. Make pizza dough.
2. Preheat the oven to 450˚F
3. Scrub and dry the potatoes, then prick several times with a fork, and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake until potatoes are easily pricked with a fork, around 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven to let cool.
5. Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels. Crumble the bacon into small pieces.
6. Cut the potatoes into cubes.
7. Preheat the oven to 425˚F
8. In a medium bowl, mix together the cubed potatoes, olive oil and ceasar dressing.
9. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the pizza. Spoon the potato mixture evenly over the pizza and sprinkle with bacon and the remaining cheese.
10. Place the pizza on a baking sheet (I used an unglazed tile) and bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust and cheese are golden.