4 Jan 2013
Rolo Filled Brown Butter Cookies
If you wanted to stop eating sweets or desserts as your New Years resolution, you should probably stop reading this.
Or maybe I should stop making them. I have already mentioned that my New Years resolution was to floss. Maybe it would help my teeth more if I stopped making these desserts.
But really, who am I kidding. That would be harder to do than flossing, and that has been my New Years resolution for 3 years already.
But, with the first two days of school done, I need something to look forward to when I get home. And these cookies really do the trick.
I have discovered browned butter when I made spaghetti a la homer, and from then I was hooked.
Blog surfing, I found so many wonderful recipes with browned butter in cookie form, and I couldn't help but be intrigued. I needed to try this out.
And with a huge stash of rolo chocolates (how did these get in my house again? I thought I was trying to be healthier..) I needed to make something with them. You know, so I won't be eating them all by myself.
-1/2 cup butter
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup white sugar
-2 large eggs
-2 teaspoons vanilla
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan at medium heat until the butter has a slightly nutty scent and is amber colored. Pour the butter into a large bowl.
3. Add sugars and stir until fully combined. Allow to cool.
4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a spatula until fully combined.
7. Wrap about 2 tablespoons of dough around each rolo.
8. Bake for around 8 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
You might also like:
Rosebud Peanut Butter Cookies
Swedish Tea Cookies
Chocolate, Raisin and Butterscotch Cookies