I have an oven now!! This has made me so happy, now I can bake!
And nothing says happiness quite like apple pie. While I have admired my boyfriend's grandmother who can make 5 apple pies in the same time that it takes for me to get all the ingredients out to actually make the pie, I will persevere. I will keep making pies until I can make them in a blink of an eye.
Now since my boyfriend is in love with apple pie, I made this for him since he is oh so picky, and it is extremely hard to make anything that he'll actually eat. Actually he's eaten everything that I've put in front of him, which I don't know if he's just being nice, or if I am a good cook for real. I'd like to say the latter ;)
Individual Apple Pies
Makes 3 Individual Apple Pies
What you'll need:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-3/4 cup shortening
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-8 tablespoons cold water
-2 apples, mixed variety (I used 1 granny smith, 1 red delicious) cored. peeled and thinly sliced
-1/2 cup sugar
-2 teaspoons vinegar
-2 tablespoons flour
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Crust: In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. Using two knives, cut in the shortening until the mixture looks like oatmeal. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix together until a dough forms.
2. Divide the dough into 6 balls, 3 of them slightly larger than the other 3. Roll out the balls one by one, and press the larger ones into the tart pans. Sprinkle with flour. Cut the other circles into strips.
3. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
4. Filling: In a medium bowl, combine the apples with the vinegar. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well. Divide evenly onto the floured crusts. Form the lattice on top, Press the strips into the crust edges.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
Thank you for reading A Taste of Madness. You can stay connected with me here: