Ode to the raspberry:
Now there is one berry that takes my heart. Just the right amount of sweet, just the right amount of tart.
…and that’s as far as I’m going to take this little poem. You can see why I am not majoring in English.
But since it is not raspberry season, it was very hard to find some good looking raspberries for this little cake, but I thought “this will not stop me from making a truly awesome cake (taking not so awesome pictures)” And defy raspberry season I did.
-1 cup fresh raspberries
-3 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1/3 cup white sugar
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 cup baking soda
-1 pinch salt
-1/2 cup sour cream
-2 tablespoons butter, melted
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/4 cup slivered almonds
For the glaze:
-1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
-1 teaspoon milk
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray a loaf tin.
2. In a small bowl, combine the raspberries and the brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the sour cream, butter, vanilla and egg. Mix until fully incorporated.
4. Pour batter into loaf tin. Top with the raspberries, then sprinkle the slivered almonds on top.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
6. Combine the confectioners sugar, milk and vanilla extract until well mixed. Drizzle over cake.