So it's persimmon season. In my house, when we buy persimmons, we buy them by the cart-full. Bags of persimmons, with no possible way of eating them all. Some, sadly, eventually get over ripe, and we are forced to throw them out. Until now.
I was kind of uneasy about making a persimmon muffin, since, in my opinion, they have a certain taste that should not be made in muffin form, but I really wanted to use these persimmons.
Don't be fooled by how plain they look, I've made them numerous times, and they are always a big hit. I even got a marriage proposal (albeit from my sister) when I made these the first time.
What you will need:
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 cup butter, melted
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-2 large eggs
-3/4 cup persimmon pulp (the insides of one or two persimmons)
-1/2 cup orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175˚C)
2. Line cupcake cups with paper liners
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, ground mixed spice and the baking soda together.
4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the eggs, persimmon pulp and orange juice until fully combined.(I used sunny delight because someone brought it over for Christmas, but no one in my house likes it, so it just sits in my fridge. Great use for it). Remove any large chunks of persimmon if some managed to get into the mix.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
6. Fill paper liners 3/4 full with batter.